Cold Nights and Post Race Thoughts

I cannot skirt around it, last night was COLD. It got down to 23 degrees and seriously I felt it. I haven’t plugged in since the beginning of the month, and I’m adjusting to life without heat. The hardest part is getting out of bed in the morning. I try to make that as quick as possible and get out to run. That warms me up.

Since the race I’ve run 3 times, all under an hour and all easy. I feel good but am really enjoying this time of no serious training or workouts. I am still doing a marathon in Texas in a month, but I’m not ready to train for it. I know my body needs rest from the effort this past weekend, even if I feel good.

I have so many thoughts about the race. I am very glad I made it to 42 miles before my wheels came off. I take that as a sign of progress. I am very happy I am recovering well. After my last 50, I was done with running for a while. Right now, I am happy for a mental break from workouts, but I am also looking forward to the few weeks my coach and I have to train for the marathon. He said I will hate him. Plot twist, I already do 😉

I think if I drank Tailwind or Gatorade earlier I would not have succumbed to the slugging last few miles. My electrolytes were definitely off as all I wanted and ate at the last few aid stations were salty chips and pretzels. I didn’t even eat the birthday cake Gu or vegan M&Ms I brought for the last few miles. I didn’t want them, I wanted pita chips and pretzels.

I’ve been slowly getting back into work for Agava. Before the race my boss and I had a meeting. They love my work, but cannot pay me for all the hours I’ve been working. This was a huge blessing, as I had been thinking about talking to them about cutting my hours. I like the work but it’s too much, especially as I start to prepare for my big race in August. Since getting back from the race, I’ve done some work for them, but I really am scaling back to bare minimum. I’ll do most of the work on Saturday and check in daily if I can. Yesterday for example I was so busy I wouldn’t have at all except there was a special event last night I needed to advertise for.

Speaking of yesterday, I had my follow up gynecologist appointment. It went so much better than I expected. They were able to do the pap smear and exam and I got blood work done. I await those results but feel happy I finally got this done. Because of my lack of period, they are testing my hormones, thyroid and possible autoimmune issue. She said she didn’t see anything like STD concerning, but we’re testing for all that too.

Before I got to the doctors, I did a short run and stopped at CTB for coffee on my way back to my cave (hehe). My boss was alone working and it was getting busy, so I stayed to help out. I usually work Wednesday mornings, but had a later shift due to my appointment. I ended up working until 8:45, ran to my car and sped up the hill to the Gyno crashing in the door at exactly 9:00AM. I had not washed myself or anything since running. I felt kind of gross, but I had enough time to clean up a bit in the bathroom before seeing the midwife.

She was great. Very soothing and helpful for my first exam. It took two tries, but I got used to what was happening. If I can finish an ultra and live in a van at 30 degrees, I can get a medal rod stuck up my vagina. I’m just gonna leave that there. The woman who took my blood was also the best lady I’ve ever had. It was seriously painless and 30 seconds. She also told me about running the Skunk Cabbage half and the Boilermaker, two local races. We bonded as she sucked my blood.

After the appointment, I sped back down, changed quick in the van and made it back to work at 10:45AM. The day flew by, but it was a good one. I am thankful this happened on a light training day. My legs weren’t tired, I didn’t worry about getting in a second workout, I simply rolled with the day. I got important shit done. I felt accomplished outside of running. It is days like these that are necessary to remind me of all the things I am outside of a runner.

About a week before the race, I started to only be able to stomach and stick to my safe foods: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, bananas, oatmeal, pickles, apples and dark chocolate. Sounds weird, but those foods go down and I know they give me energy. Well, since the race, I’ve tried to go back to eating whatever, a varied diet, however I still can mostly stomach those foods. I felt sick after eating rich foods the night of the race and on Easter. I can only really do dark chocolate, jelly is the sweetest food I can stomach and it has to be with peanut butter or something to balance out the sweetness. I suppose that even though my legs are feeling better fast, my stomach has some time to go.

Breakfast: oatmeal with peanut butter and banana, grapes

Running: 58 minutes

2 thoughts on “Cold Nights and Post Race Thoughts”

  1. What marathon are you doing in TX?! My parents are running the Silo Half Marathon in Waco in May!! It’d be so cool if you guys were doing the same one!! I’d have to go and cheer all three of you on 🙂

    I’m glad your gyno appointment went well this time! Whoop whoop!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *